A Special Holiday Message from Nicky Smith, President of Carolina Digital Phone
Our world is getting more and more complicated. Consider this: it is estimated that until 1900, human knowledge doubled once every 100 years. Then by 1945, it doubled every 25 years. And by 1982, it doubled every year. Now, experts are saying that knowledge doubles EVERY 12 HOURS.
Why do I bring this up? Because as the holidays quickly approach, I urge you to take a break from the complexity and “noise” out there, and reflect on the SIMPLE and TRUE things that make life such a joyful journey.
I am reminded of the lyrics to the classic song Happy Xmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon, which asks: “So this is Christmas, and what have you done?”
And so, I ask you — when was the last time that you:
- Woke up in the morning, and the first thought in your mind was “wow, it’s great to be alive!” — and not “oh no, I wonder what scary emails and texts are waiting for me.”
- Went to bed at night full of gratitude for the opportunity you had that day to make a positive difference?
- Took a moment to experience and appreciate nature — by going for a stroll or even just looking out the window (which is not a bad idea because it was pretty cold around here the last few days!).
- Told the most important people in your life that you love and care for them?
- Forgave those who wronged you in the past — if not directly (which is not always possible), then in your heart. Remember: when we hold onto grudges, our hands are not free to catch blessings!
- Did something simple and nice for a total stranger — like buying them a coffee, or offering to return their shopping cart for them. You’d be amazed at what these little gestures can do for the soul and spirit.
- Said a genuine “thank you” to a frontline service worker, such as the cashier in a store or the waitress in a restaurant, or the person taking your order at your favorite fast-food restaurant. And guess what? Saying thank you from the bottom of your heart is FREE.
I promise you that I don’t mean to preach. I know that we all have difficulties, stresses, and fears — about ourselves, our families, our communities, our country, and our world. This is just part of life, and we cannot pretend that these concerns do not exist.
But what I am encouraging all of you to do, is to take this opportunity during the holidays and realize how much power you have to brighten your life and the lives of those around you.
To me, this is the real spirit and meaning of the holidays. And there is absolutely no reason why we have to limit this to a few days at the end of each year. We can do it EVERY DAY. Why not start right now?
Seasons Greetings and Merry Christmas!
Nicky Smith, Founder/CEO
Carolina Digital Phone Inc